[CentOS] Re: Centos 5 timeline?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Apr 6 01:18:20 UTC 2007

Scott Silva wrote:

> If everyone had a threaded mail client, you could just reply with no previous
> content, and follow the thread.

Not really. Threads fork, as you and I reply to Fred, then Joanna
replies to both...

Besides the random nature of folk's replies to the thread, the order of
email set to point A (centos.org in this case) to point B (my email
server at ns.demo.lan - yes, that's where my email goes to) is not
guaranteed.

A server along the way finds the end-point is unreachable, the mail's
queued. Next time, the path is clear and the mail goes straight through.
Some time later (an hour or so), it retries queued mail and it goes through.

Often, the head of thread is well down the queue by the time it arrives
here. My example is extreme - ns.demo.lan is both behind a firewall, and
separated from the Internet by a dialup modem. Often, it's only up four
hours in the day.

Less extreme examles abound - how often does Google.com fail to resolve
on one attempt, then work fine the next?

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait