[CentOS] getting iptables log out of /var/log/messages

Andrew Bogecho andrewb at cs.mcgill.ca
Mon Apr 9 23:20:36 UTC 2007

> Hi,
> I have been trying to get the messages from iptables out of
> /var/log/messages
> with no luck.
>
> I tryied this settings:
> iptables -j LOG --log-level warn
>
> in /etc/syslog.conf kern.warn            /var/log/critical kern.none;....
> /var/log/messages
> # have no other call to kern o warn in syslog.conf
>

> service syslogd restart itpables -L -nv|grep LOG
>
> All seems ok, but the messages are still getting into /var/log/messages
>

> Is there a problem with iptables from Centos4.4 ? Or is it syslog?
> What im doing wrong?

Hi,

Have you tried using a number as a value?

#define LOG_EMERG       0       /* system is unusable */
#define LOG_ALERT       1       /* action must be taken immediately */
#define LOG_CRIT        2       /* critical conditions */
#define LOG_ERR         3       /* error conditions */
#define LOG_WARNING     4       /* warning conditions */
#define LOG_NOTICE      5       /* normal but significant condition */
#define LOG_INFO        6       /* informational */
#define LOG_DEBUG       7       /* debug-level messages */

The man page for syslog.conf mentions:

The keywords error, warn and panic are deprecated and should not be used
anymore.

Hope that helps.

A.