[CentOS] CentOS Firewall configuration

Andrew Bogecho andrewb at cs.mcgill.ca
Thu Apr 12 02:20:55 UTC 2007

> Hello,
> Thanks for your reply. I used system-config-securitylevel during the
> initial install, now i'd like to add tcp and udp ports. When adding rules
> am i going to have to reenter rules for dhcp/dns/ntp? I'd still like those
> services to work. What i mean is if i run system-config-securitylevel or
> another app will it overwrite my file and i have to reenter all my rules?
> Thanks.
> Dave.

Hi Dave,

system-config-securitylevel updates the /etc/sysconfig/iptables file. It
will show you your current state when you start the app, and any changes
you make will be saved to the file as well as affect your firewall state.

If you were already editing rules by hand, then it is probably best to
continue that way. You can also have a look at what Ford mentioned for
more complex needs.

Best of luck.

A.