[CentOS] CentOS 5 and bittorrent

John Hinton

webmaster at ew3d.com
Thu Apr 12 17:19:24 UTC 2007

Folks. This is likely to be the hardest hit CentOS has ever taken with
regards to bandwidth needs.

I was really hesitant to use bittorrent for this type of thing for a
long time. However, it really is nice to give back at least what you
take. At the moment, I'm seeing almost 3000 connections to the torrent.
That times 3.5 gigs is a pretty huge chunk of data... and it has just begun.

What I'm getting at here, is CentOS gives a LOT! If you have never
considered doing your downloads via a torrent, please do consider this
and try to give back at least the bandwidth you use. I'm sure the CentOS
team will appreciate this more than you will ever know.

Me? I'm downloading via a winders box and I use bit tornado which is
extremely flexible in setting upload and download allowances as well as
the number of connections. And it's free. I'm sure others use many of
the other aps available.. just please consider using the torrent.

Best,
John Hinton