[CentOS] Centos5 NFS install from loop-back mounted DVD image fails

Bernd Bartmann

bernd.bartmann at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 16:33:40 UTC 2007

NFS install from a loop-back mounted DVD image fails for me when it
actually tries to start the RPM install process. I come to the point
where anaconda checks the package dependencies, then it tells that the
install process will be started in some minutes and the last thing I
see is a message similar to: Preparing transaction from install media.
Then this message box disappears and the install process is stalled.

On text console #4 I see these two last lines:

<5>SQUASHFS error: sb_bread failed reading block 0xb085
<5>SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page block 2c11bde, size fbb7

This happens on a x86_64 install, but I get a similar message when I
try to install a i386 Centos5.

Both DVD images were downloaded using Bittorrent and the sha1sums and
md5sums are all correct. The NFS server is RHES4.4 i386.

Any ideas how to fix this problem?

Best regards,
Bernd.