[CentOS] new machine just turns off after some time.

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Apr 13 19:34:47 UTC 2007

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 02:19:24PM -0400, Jerry Geis alleged:
> Hi all...
>
> I have a new machine for centos 5. amd 6000+, 2 gig and 750GIG drives.
> Price is quite reasonable... Anyway...
>
> centos 5 installs fine, I was running fine then the machine just turned off.
> I tried to run a video for the last 8 hours on it waiting to happen
> again and it
> worked just fine.
>
> I then did a continues compile with a batch file and after a few minutes it
> just turned off... I saw the length of time to do the compiles was
> increasing.
> At the end about 10 seconds extra than the time when I first started....
>

> I immediately jumped into the hardware monitor for CPU temp and it is
> registering 45C.
> around 114 F. Seems OK at this point..
>
> I have heard before RAM or power supply.
>
> Do these symptoms still point to that?
> Does the power supply seem more likely than RAM? The RAM is DD2 Corsair.
>
> I am doubtful that the kernel just died or something for froze as the
> machine TURNS OFF.

These things are almost always hardware problems.  It could be RAM, CPU,
mobo, power supply, etc. *shrug*.

You could run memtest86+ for awhile to test ram.  lm_sensors can check
temp and voltage levels.

Otherwise you pretty much just need to figure out the good trigger, and
swap hardware until you find the culprit.

University of Southern California