[CentOS] Looking for a better way to build

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Apr 15 23:31:34 UTC 2007

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> On 4/15/07, John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
>>
>> Probably, you should be on lkml - the Linux kernel mailing list.
>

> I used to be, but that was ages ago.  Guess I'll be rejoining when I find
> it....
>
> There is no need, or even point, to create rpms for each dumb mistake.
>

> Oh, I don't know - I could screw up more people who were dumb enough to
> take
> my rpms....
>
> :-)
>
> If at all possible, you should be testing first in uml, xen or other
>> virtual environment.
>

> I have a  dedicated test machine here at work.  It builds nicely and so far
> I haven't built a kernel that won't boot, AND I have fallbacks for if I
> do....

Seems to me that typing
  linux ...
or
  xm create testbox

is much easier than moving to another computer, pressing reset (if it's
got one!) or cycling power, or even 'reboot -f -n'

Okay, so you don't move to another computer. Still, I've heard UML
became pretty popular pretty quickly with kernel hackers.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait