[CentOS] CentOS 5.0 install fails every time.

Gabriel Gunderson

ggundy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 06:00:11 UTC 2007

Hey all,

I've downloaded the latest CentOS 5.0 and the md5sums look good.  I
loop-back mounted the ISOs and pulled all of the RPMs out into a
single dir.  I have an existing PXE environment with several different
distros to which I added 5.0.  RPMs are served from my HTTPS server.
I used the isolinux.cfg that was provided and all *looks* good.

The problem is that on 4 *very* different systems I get the same
error.  I install to the point in the installer where the X.org server
shows the big "X" cursor with the black background and it just
freezes.  I hit Ctl-Alt-F3 and see the same message repeating over and
over again....

Unable to find temp path, going to use ramfs path
Unable to find temp path, going to use ramfs path
Unable to find temp path, going to use ramfs path
Unable to find temp path, going to use ramfs path
Unable to find temp path, going to use ramfs path
Unable to find temp path, going to use ramfs path

I tracked it down to this code in Anaconda...
<code>
def getTempPath(self):
    root = self.rootPath
    pathlist = [ "/var/tmp", "/tmp", "/." ]
    tmppath = None
    for p in pathlist:
        if (os.access(root + p, os.X_OK)):
            tmppath = root + p + "/"
            break

    if tmppath is None:
        log("Unable to find temp path, going to use ramfs path")
        return "/tmp/"

    return tmppath
</code>

Has anyone see this or know what's happening to cause this?  I can
give dmesg or other info if you think it will be helpful.  BTW, this
happens with the CD install also on 4 *very* different computers.

Thanks,
Gabe

--
Gabriel Gunderson