[CentOS] sendmail smrsh symlinks not working against php scripts

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Mon Apr 16 16:53:43 UTC 2007

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, dan1 wrote:

> I am trying to forward the e-mails received to one address towards a php
> script.
> I am trying all I can but nothing does.
>
> I have edited my /etc/aliases file and added this line.
> ecard-bounce: "|/usr/bin/php /etc/smrsh/ecardbounce.php"
>
> Then, of course I do a 'newaliases'.
> In my /etc/smrsh I have placed the symbolic link defined above, which has
> been created this way:
> ln -s /home/my/scripts/ecardbounce.php /etc/smrsh/ecardbounce.php

Wouldn't smrsh need to include /usr/bin/php as well in its
permitted subshell applications links in /etc/smrsh/?  the
object of the binary is not checked -- the binary is

Note:  I do not pass on the security advisability of this act,
just sendmail syntax

It has been a long time since I added items to the sendmail
permitted applications list as it is a known scurity cesspool.

-- Russ Herrold