[CentOS] Hardware-independent server installation

Mon Apr 16 18:32:09 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 11:04 -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> I don't have a system similar to my active server, and I'd like to install
> CentOS to a new drive on a spare system and then load that disk in my
> server once it's configured with the services I need. How
> hardware-independent is a server installation? What should I look out for
> when doing this?
>
> I've been using Linux on servers for several years and am a
> software/hardware integrator by day. It seems like this should be trivial
> but I'd like to know if I'm missing any obvious gotchas.
>
> I'm guessing the biggest issue is associating eth names with actual devices
> (modules.conf?), since the systems are unlikely to use the same Ethernet
> hardware.

kudzu should detect any changes as long as the hard drive types are the
same and the drive is the same number for grub (hd0, hd1, etc.)

Also you need to be careful with drive labels ... if you have 2 /boot
labels or 2 /root labels the machine will not boot.

you can use e2label to change the partition labels (if required)