[CentOS] Upgrade 4.4 to 5.0 (Error in transaction)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 19:54:26 UTC 2007

On 4/16/07, bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at <bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at> wrote:

> Just an update and an additional question concerning this:

>     bl> Hi!
>
>     bl> I'm having a problem upgrading an existing 4.4 installation to
>     bl> 5.0.
>
>     bl> - The machine is a x86_64 architecture - I'm upgrading from a
>     bl> DVD - I've used the same DVD to sucessfully upgrade another
>     bl> machine (therefor I'm pretty sure that it is OK) - The error
>     bl> occurs on both DVD-drives on the machine (therefor I think its
>     bl> not a problem with a particular DVD-drive)
>
>     bl> I'm clicking through the upgrade dialogs. Then the machine
>     bl> prepares to install the packages. At the end of this a
>     bl> dialog-box appears:
>
>     bl> Error running transaction There was an error running your
>     bl> transaction for the following reason(s):
>
>     bl> Apart from that text there is only a Reboot-button (no
>     bl> explanation)
>
>     bl> On the other virtual terminals there is nothing unusual (last
>     bl> line in Ctrl+Alt+F3 is "Preparing to install packages")
>
>     bl> The /root/upgrade.log is empty.
>
>     bl> My guess is that there might be some packages that offend the
>     bl> installer (there are some non-standard packages on the
>     bl> machine, don't shout at me: I know that's bad (amongst them a
>     bl> 32-bit firefox)). Is there a way to find out which packages
>     bl> are the bad ones?
>
>     bl> Any tips would be most welcome. Thanks
>
>     bl> PS: What I'm trying right now is removing the worst offenders
>     bl> and retry the upgrade procedure in text mode.
>
> Text modus doesn't help
>
> Stupid question: is it possible that the reason for this error message
> is that the estimated size of all the packages that are to be updated
> (3.2 Gig) is bigger than the remaining free space on the root
> partition (2.5 Gig)?

It could be, but it is supposed to trigger an exception telling you
need more space on the system (and how much).

I have run into the same problem, and it might be a similar issue as
the box only had 1.2 GB free and was updating 3.2 gb of data.. I am
trying to figure out how to get a break set to get a better idea on
the erorr.