[CentOS] Re: smartd stalls the system on reboot

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Apr 18 18:12:33 UTC 2007

Mark Hull-Richter spake the following on 4/18/2007 10:59 AM:
> I have begun to notice that the smartd stalls my machine's boot process
> for as much as 2-3 minutes while it is coming up.  I have the BIOS SMART
> function enabled, and I removed the bad SG400GB drive from the box
> yesterday, but I think this goes back farther than that.
>
> Why does it take so long?  Is the BIOS SMART involved in this (and how)?

The smart bios option is usually only to give you an error message on boot.
Sendmail start delays are usually related to name resolution, and can
sometimes be related to entries in /etc/hosts.
Do you have an sata controller that isn't supported with smartd?

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and