[CentOS] Webalizer error (was cron error)

Michael Velez mikev777 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 21 10:47:59 UTC 2007

> Hello,
>
> This morning, root received an e-mail from the cron daemon as
> the following:
>
> --------------------------------
> Subject: Cron <root> run-parts /etc/cron.daily
>
> /etc/cron.daily:00webalizer:
>
> Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field
> --------------------------------
>
> I haven't changed anything to cron or to my intranet website
> (I'm assuming that's what the webalizer is about) in the last
> few days.
>
> I did do a reboot yesterday which was the first one in a few weeks.
>
> Does anybody know what this message is?
>
> Michael

This is indeed a webalizer issue and I'm wondering if this indicates a more
serious problem or if this is just an error in log file format.

It's getting an oversized referrer field.  Looking at the output file of the
webalizer, I have 4 referrers:

	- direct request
	- my intranet domain name
	- a php application domain name running on my intranet
	- (compatible

It is this last line that is confusing the webalizer.  It seems the
webalizer thinks the text "(compatible" is a referrer.  If I look into the
input log file in /var/log/httpd/access-log, the text "(compatible" comes
from the description of the User Agent, in this case:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1 4322; >NET
CLR 2.0.502727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30)

Is this error common?  I found several discussions of this on the internet
and one simply says to use the "very quiet" option.

So should I not be worried or could this potentially be the sign of a more
serious issue?

Michael