[CentOS] usermod and useradd errors

Matt Martz mdmartz at gflug.net
Sun Apr 22 00:13:35 UTC 2007

On Sat, April 21, 2007 2:42 pm, dnk wrote:
> I am not sure if anyone else has run into this, but i did today when
> setting upo a samba server.
>
> http://lists.gobolinux.org/pipermail/gobolinux-users/2007-February/004413.html
>
> In an nutshell you get an error like: "usermod: invalid numeric
> argument", or the user groups are never assigned, etc. So I have been
> managing manually. I get the exact same symptoms, etc (but doing
> things like appending groups, etc).
>
> Apparently it can be fixed by downgrading Shadow package to 4.0.17,
> however with a quick little "rpm -qa | grep shadow", I can see the
> version with Centos 5 is shadow-utils-4.0.17-12.el5.
>
> I have not spent much time digging in deeper as of yet, but wanted ot
> see if any others have had this issue in Centos 5.

Is the command you are typing identical to the command in that link except
for the group name?

usermod -a groupname -G groupname username

If it is it looks like the error may be with including the groupname after
the -a.

I believe the command should just be :

usermod -a -G groupname username

Cheers!