[CentOS] RealPlayer

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 22 00:47:57 UTC 2007

centos at 911networks.com wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 23:09:42 +0300
> Ioannis Vranos <ivranos at freemail.gr> wrote:
>

>>> I downloaded the default .bin package and it loads fine
>>> (haven't tested it though, I am still configuring my box, but
>>> it looks OK).
>>>
>> Just checked it with an mp3 and it plays great.
>>

> Just installed the .bin package and I get:
>

> realplay.bin
>
> ** (realplay.bin:4071): WARNING **: HXPlayer: Error 0x80004005: "A general error has occurred."
>
> ** ERROR **: Could not create helix engine. You must run:
> export HELIX_LIBS=<path to your helix libs>
> aborting...
> Aborted

Another data point:
The rpm that was mentioned in the original post at:
http://www.real.com/realcom/R?href=http%3A%2F%2Fforms%2Ereal%2Ecom%2Freal%2Fplayer%2Fdownload%2Ehtml%3Ff%3Dunix%2FRealPlayer10GOLD%2Erpm
installed using # rpm -Uvh RealPlayer10GOLD.rpm
and works fine for me when started from a terminal ($
/usr/bin/realplay) or from the KDE menu (Multimedia -> RealPlayer 10).
Perhaps a missing dependency that the packager (RealNetworks) failed to
mention?