[CentOS] Can't load Centos 5 on laptop

Paul unix at bikesn4x4s.com
Sun Apr 22 01:55:07 UTC 2007

On Sat, April 21, 2007 4:38 pm, centos at 911networks.com wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 16:09:48 -0400 (EDT)
> "Paul" <unix at bikesn4x4s.com> wrote:
>
>> I can load Centos 4.4 fine, but 5 won't even begin to load, it
>> can't even read the kernel from the CD.  I got another cheaper
>> laptop, and that one loads fine with Centos 5, the same DVD I
>> try in the Pro-star laptop.  What would cause that?  I've never
>> seen it before.  I'm trying to load DVD x86 32bit DVD.  Thanks.
>
> You haven't mentioned what kind of hardware, CPU & video card...
> but it could be that your laptop is a Via chipset or a 586...
> which are not currently supported by CentOS5.

Detailed specs:
http://pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=spec&model=8854

> You also have not mentioned at what point it crashes.

It crashes at the very first step.  Well, not really crashes, it gives me
an error.  At the very first screen it that the CD boots up on, with the
f1, f2, f3, f4, f5 selections, then it defaults to "boot:" prompt.  And I
usually just hit enter to boot up on the CD for installation.  When I hit
enter to boot, or times out to boot automatically, it gives the error:
"Could not find kernel image: linux"