[CentOS] It's a bust (was: CentOS 5 & Beryl)

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Sun Apr 22 14:34:02 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-15 at 01:51 -0300, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 07:55:53AM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> > >For those interested, the beryl packages from Fedora-Extras (FC6) will
> > >install cleanly and run perfectly on CentOS 5.
> >
> > I would expect all FC6 packages to be fully compatible. The problem I
> > see is support for them into the future.
> >
> > _that_ is the reason I plan on running C5.
>
> I see your point, and that is why I also use C5.
> Then again, I'm really, really not worried about this particular
> computer (hence, I have beryl on it).

Well, it's a bust. After attempting to get my ATI 9600 to work in this
old machine it's not going to happen. Apparently the BIOS and chipset is
just too old to run this PCI beast. Don't know if I'd have any better
luck with an AGP card, but since I don't have one of those around I
can't test it out.

I think I'll just build a new workstation. It's long over due any way.

Thanks all

--
Mark

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."