[CentOS] Regarding fork bomb in a CentOS 4.4 Server!

mike.redan at bell.ca mike.redan at bell.ca
Tue Apr 24 18:55:50 UTC 2007

I quicker way to take down a machine is this:

# dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/port bs=1M count=2

Should take a little less than a second to kernel panic your machine.

As Jim mentioned, have a look at limits.conf to help fix your fork bomb
problem...just don't set it too low!!

(if someone has root access, they have *several* ways to take down your
machine, including 'reboot', and 'shutdown'...)

Cheers,
Mike