[CentOS] Regarding fork bomb in a CentOS 4.4 Server!

israel.garcia at cimex.com.cu israel.garcia at cimex.com.cu
Tue Apr 24 20:15:23 UTC 2007

Mike,  I know if someone has root access to my server I'm dead!, but in
this case a non-root user can take down your server if he just run just
:(){ :|:& };:

Ulimit -u get this:

[israel at node1 ~]$ ulimit -u
3072

So, I change /etc/securitty/limit.conf and add this lines to limit to
100 process to users

* soft nproc 100
* hard nproc 100

Now:
[israel at node1 ~]$ ulimit -u
100

And a non-root user CAN NOT take down your server..

My last question is?

Why is not CentOS configured by default to aboid this known thigs?

Regards;
Israel

>I quicker way to take down a machine is this:

># dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/port bs=1M count=2

>Should take a little less than a second to kernel panic your machine.

>As Jim mentioned, have a look at limits.conf to help fix your fork bomb
>problem...just don't set it too low!!

>(if someone has root access, they have *several* ways to take down your
>machine, including 'reboot', and 'shutdown'...)

>Cheers,
>Mike

"http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos"centos-bounces at
centos.org <mailto:HYPERLINK> ] On Behalf Of