[CentOS] hi

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Wed Apr 25 00:13:14 UTC 2007

"Dave" <matthew_17_20 at msn.com> wrote:

Hi I just joined I have a serer who's purpose life is to be a
fileserver/print server right now it is running windows 98 because it is an
older computer look at an alternate os such as this will this allow windows
based machines to talk to it save files retrieve files and also how
difficult is it to install.
<<

Dave, I'll point you to two documents to get you started. First:

http://www.lesbell.com.au/Home.nsf/web/Introduction+to+Linux?OpenDocument

"Linux will appeal to you if:
      You are the kind of person who likes to "get under the hood" and
      tinker.
      You find pointing and clicking to be a very limiting way of
      expressing yourself.
      You want to develop or run applications for small- and medium-sized
      enterprises.
      You have a few Windows computers and need a firewall to connect them
      to the Internet, or a file server, or an intranet server, or . . ."

"Essentially, using Windows is a bit like being a passenger in a Boeing
747. It's smooth, it's comfortable albeit cramped and you have an
entertainment screen right in front of you. But after take-off, you can't
change your mind about where you're going and you're not going to see any
interesting scenery en-route. Using Linux is like piloting your own plane:
you decided where you're going, and when; you can fly high or fly low and
enjoy the scenery. But you can't just leap into the pilot's seat and crank
the ignition - some training and some preparation are necessary."

If you find this article incomprehensible or a bit tiring to read, you
might like to consider whether you'd prefer to be a pilot or a passenger.
Learning about Linux will involve a lot of reading.

If you'd like to know more about setting up a basic file/print server for a
small network of Windows machines, then see:

http://www.lesbell.com.au/Home.nsf/web/Samba:+A+Linux+Server+for+your+Windows+Workstations?OpenDocument

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]