[CentOS] Re: Evolution problem - not sending/receiving any more

Mark Hull-Richter mhullrich at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 09:59:24 UTC 2007

On 4/25/07, Mark Hull-Richter <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not at all clear on what happened.  I haven't downloaded my mail from
> gmail into Evolution for a couple of days, and today I changed my
> gmail password.  Even though I told Evolution to forget my passwords
> and had to reenter them, I am unable to receive any email from the
> server.  I get a quick "retrieving Pop summary" and then the window
> vanishes and nothing gets downloaded.
>
> When I try to send email, I get a window that says "Unable to
> authenticate to SMTP server" and a few other things.
>
> I have triple-checked the password (couldn't get here if I didn't know
> it), so what else could be the problem?  I swear I didn't change
> ANYTHING else.

Come to think of it, something did change.  I have a DSL connection,
and every time I turn off the machine, usually within five minutes my
IP address winds up getting changed.  This was never a problem before,
so I'm stumped.  Gmail has a fairly straightforward POP3 setup, with a
pop server for receiving mail and an smtp server for sending mail.

???

mhr