[CentOS] Re: Raid 1 newbie question

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Apr 26 16:59:29 UTC 2007

Roberto Pereyra spake the following on 4/26/2007 5:08 AM:
> 2007/4/26, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>:
>> On 4/25/07, alex at avantel.ca
>> <alex at avantel.ca> wrote:
>> > On Wed, April 25, 2007 11:54 am, Roberto Pereyra wrote:
>>
>> > hdc3 appears to be the problem.  Try using mdadm (man mdadm) query
>> mode to
>> > find out more info about md1 and /dev/hdc3.  Are you sure /dev/hdc3
>> is set
>> > to be linux raid autodetect (use fdisk to find out).  You can also try
>> > adding hdc3 to the array with mdadm - see the man page for details.
>>
>> I recently had a similar problem.  One disk was reported to have
>> failed.  I ran mdadm to add it back.  The reconstruction took a couple
>> of hours (500GB) but it seems to be working now.  So, as the above
>> advice suggests, read man page for mdadm and try to recover the lost
>> partition.
>>
>> Akemi
>>

> Hi !
>
> Can I force the reconstruction without risk with this command ?
>
> mdadm --assemble --force

If you have to force it, I wouldn't do it. Why not format the partition as
ext2 with mke2fs -c to test it thoroughly ( or even -cc for a deeper test).
Then you can redo it as Linux raid and re-add it into the array

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and