[CentOS] raid 1

Tony pthagonal at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 15:24:47 UTC 2007

On 4/27/07, CentOS List <centoslist at gmail.com> wrote:
> > CentOS List wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am running raid 1 on a centos 4.4. One of the harddisk (sda1) failed.
> >> How can i carry on running the server using only sda2?
> >
> > Generate a grub floppy and use that to load the grub menu from the sdb
> > (probably now sda) disk.
> >
> > If you are really talking about sda1 and sda2, those are partitions on the
> > same disk.
>
> Is there a detail step by step howto? The raid 1 has no LVM. just md0, md1
> and md2. md0 is /boot, md1 is swap and md2 is the storage. I had replace sba
> with a new disk. I tried to boot up and it says kernel panic. How am i going
> to reconstruct the raid and sync sdb to sda?

You might find these notes
http://ex-parrot.com/~pete/software-raid-howto.html handy- but I can't
confirm they are 100% correct for you- you have to work that out
yourself.

If you have the ability to clone the surviving drive to another drive
as an extra backup on top of the one you already have (of course you
do?) I'd do that before potentially accidentally screwing up this disk
as well!

Cheers,

A.D.