[CentOS] unexpected mass closing of terminal windows

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Fri Apr 27 17:25:06 UTC 2007

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 11:57:55AM -0500, Brian Barnes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I apologize if this isn't quite the right spot to ask, but I did some
> googling on fc6, rhel5, centos5, terminal closings, etc and came up blank.
>
> Three times since I installed CentOS5 on this machine (11 days ago), I
> have had ***all my my terminal windows spontaneously exit***.

Usually there's only a single gnome-terminal process for all your
windows. You can use --disable-factory to use a single process for each
window (that you start from the command-line/icon. Shift+Ctrl+N should
reuse the process still).

> For example: just now, I have a CD playing, firefox open with a few tabs,
> and emacs open.  I also had ~5 terminal windows open, one for email and
> four for work.  While typing an email on a remote machine in pine, *all*
> of my terminal windows exited.  Just plain disappeared.  Everything else,
> including the emacs copy started from one of those terminals, is running
> fine.
>
> It's a frustrating thing to see happen!  Has anyone else experienced this?

Not on a long time. Check dmesg for the OOM killer. He could be taking
out your gnome-terminal (the OOM Killer never was very bright).

Or it could be hw problems that manifest in memory corruption in
gnome-terminal.

Or it could be a bug in Centos5 only. I don't use it as a desktop.

--
lfr
0/0