[CentOS] Using Xen under CentOS 5.0

Scott Lamb slamb at slamb.org
Fri Apr 27 20:12:12 UTC 2007

On Apr 27, 2007, at 11:02 AM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> So if I got it correctly so far, is the first step in using Xen, to
> install the xen-enabled kernel on my CentOS 5.0 machine and reboot
> it, without any need for repartition/reformat/reinstall?

Yes - install it and modify grub.conf to use it, no need to reinstall.

What the virtualization guide doesn't mention until the
troubleshooting section is that you'll also want to modify
DEFAULTKERNEL from "kernel" to "kernel-xen" in /etc/sysconfig/kernel,
or future yum upgrades will switch your system back to using the non-
Xen kernel by default.

It also doesn't mention the full package list you'll need to use Xen.
I found that "sudo yum -y install virt-manager kernel-xen" was enough
to pull in everything.

--
Scott Lamb <http://www.slamb.org/>