[CentOS] setting up CentOS 5 with Raid10

Ruslan Sivak rsivak at istandfor.com
Fri Apr 27 20:56:40 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Ruslan Sivak wrote:

>>> Cannot speak to raid 10 but have been running 4.4 an 5.0 with raid 1
>>> and /boot partition on md0 for some time.  Have not seen the issue
>>> you refer to.
>>>
>>> bj
>>>

>> Well as far as Raid10, it's not even an option for the installer.  If
>> I do select raid1 for the entire array, I only get the space of 3 of
>> the 4 drives, and the installer still complains that I cannot put
>> boot on a raid system.
>> Is there a how-to somewhere on getting this to work?
>
> I don't know if the installer will let you do it, but you are supposed
> to be able to create RAID1 devices, then stripe across them by using
> those md devices in a RAID0.  I'm not sure if there is any advantage
> to that over using LVM to combine the RAID1 devices though.
> Personally I prefer to use RAID1 and deal with the space on separate
> mounted partitions since it permits recovering the data from any
> single drive but if I had to have a larger chunk I'd probably put
> /boot on a RAID1 and the rest in mirrored partitions combined in LVM.

I just did an install where i set up boot on raid1 (sda1,sdb1 with sdc1
and sdd1 as spares), swap on raid0 (sda2, sdb2, sdc2, sdd2) and then
created 2 LVM partitions /dev/md2 (raid1 of sda3 and sdb3) and /dev/md3
(raid1 of sdc3 and sdd3).  I then combine the 2 partitions in LVM and
put root on it.

Everything installed fine, but got stuck at the grub prompt.

I am now trying to set up raid10 manually by using mdadm, but it gives
me an error, and when looking at dmesg, it says "md: personality for
level 10 is not loaded!".

Does this mean that the currently compiled in kernel doesn't support
raid10?

Russ