[CentOS] installing raid1 via serial terminal during install

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Sat Apr 28 23:46:31 UTC 2007

Dave wrote:
> Hello,
>    I'm wanting to install centos via serial terminal on to a box without
> monitor. It will be administered remotely via ssh. I've got two disks in
> it and would like to use raid1 with this system, but i'd like to get
> this going preferably during or immediately after the install. My
> problem as i see it is installing grub on to both hard disks, you have
> to get a shell window during the install for that otherwise the box
> won't boot. Does anyone have this working?
> Thanks.
> Dave.

Yes. PXE + dhcp + pxegrub + tftp + installation image and initrd.

Rebuilt grub to enable network support and to stuff in a default menu
that makes it let you use grub over the serial terminal.

If you must use the CD, then you need to pass something like
'console=ttyS0,9600' to the kernel.

After installation, anaconda should create appropriate grub menu
entries. If not, look at the sample below.

serial --unit=0 --speed=9600
terminal --timeout=2 serial console

However, what do you mean by 'installing grub on to both disks, you have
to get a shell window during the install'?

Are you trying to get around the first disk fails and the system does
not boot up any more problem? That is fixed on Centos 5/RHEL 5.