[CentOS] CentOS 5 - Issues with multimedia

Ioannis Vranos ivranos at freemail.gr
Sun Apr 29 18:17:28 UTC 2007

first last wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having some issues with CentOS 5.
>
> -XMMS stops playing MP3s without apparent reason. I leave it playing
> some album and it will just stop whenever it feels like it. It will go
> into "pause" and just stay there. Pressing on the pause button to
> resume does nothing at all. I thought it could be some newly encoded
> songs, but it does the same for a song that I have played 100% times.

AFAIK XMMS is not actively developed. Myself currently am using VLC
(from rpmforge) and RealPlayer for playing DVDs and various media files
and had no problems so far. However I am still checking CentOS 5. Also
Noatun (http://noatun.kde.org) that comes with CentOS 5.0 KDE may also
be a viable option.

> -K3B takes 1:40 to create a DVD. Initially I thought it could be
> because I was writing a DVD with 2GB files on and UDF extensions, but
> creating the image first and then burning that takes exactly as long.

It must be a K3B thing, myself am using nerolinux and have no probs with
it. In fact it goes faster than in my previous SL 4.x installation.