[CentOS] Slow performance

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Mon Apr 30 21:56:51 UTC 2007

Scott Lamb wrote:
> I'd expect the first timed make to take about eight minutes and the
> second timed make to take somewhere between one and two minutes.
    I'll try that in a minute here...

> You're not trying to generate thumbnails on every hit, are you? Even
> with all the might of eight processors and this RAID array, you won't
> get this task to complete in the .1 sec that usability experts say is
> the maximum acceptable page load time. You're going to have to
> precompute them. Or if you're doing it on upload and that's timing
> out, then redirect the browser to a progress bar page before
> converting or something.
    Actually, the way the vendor programmed it, we upload anywhere
between 4-800 images, then when someone goes to view that page, that's
when it creates the thumbs on the fly.  Now, we're requested this
process be changed so that the thumbnails are created in the background
after uploading, so that when someone goes to view them, they're already
created and just pulled from cache.

    Funny how the vendor seemed to think that generating thumbnails on
the fly, all 800 of them, would take, according to them, 'a fraction of
second per image' - sure, when you have 3 images, but not when you have
800 images.

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.
  Photo Craft Imaging                       .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6