[CentOS] Re: Mixing RPMforge and EPEL (Was: EPEL repo)

"Petr \"Qaxi\" Klíma" qaxi at seznam.cz
Thu Aug 2 06:47:36 UTC 2007

>> Diversity adds a lot of value. If EPEL will be only repo nobody on
>> RHEL workstation can see/listen MP3, WMA, DVD playing, because of
>> interesting US software patent and millenium act law.
>
> That's not what I meant.  Obviously we need additional packages in
> other repositories and that will be true as long as there is any
> policy that might exclude any contribution to a centrally managed
> repository.  The question is, why do we need/want different versions
> of the same-named packages, or packages that provide different
> versions of the same files that can overwrite each other based on
> conditions we can't control? There probably is a good reason to want
> this - I just can't think of it right now.

That's easy:

(this is example, has no reflection to current state ...)

EPEL  provides xmms-1.2.10-1.i586.rpm    - but without MP3, WMA, AAC ...
DAG   provides xmms-1.2.9-1.rf.i586.rpm  - with all those beasts
ATRPM provides xmms-1.2.10-1.at.i586.rpm - with all those beasts

Which you installs? Who knows, probably EPEL ...

Solution?

Repo priorities and includes

[base]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Base
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=os
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-centos4
*priority=1*

# Name: RPMforge RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise 4 - dag
name = RPMforge.net-EL 4
mirrorlist = http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el4/en/mirrors-rpmforge
gpgkey = http://dag.wieers.com/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt
gpgcheck = 1
enabled = 0
*priority=80*
*includepkgs=xmms**

[epel]
name=Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 5 - $basearch
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/$basearch
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=epel-5&arch=$basearch
failovermethod=priority
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-EPEL
*priority=99*
*# this is yust for sure priprities should do it better*
*exclude=xmms**

--

Petr Klíma

e-mail: petr.klima at madeta.cz MADETA a.s.
phone: +420 389 136 209 Rudolfovská 246/83
web: http://www.madeta.cz 370 50 České Budějovice
Czech Republic

--

   Petr Klíma