[CentOS] Re: Mixing RPMforge and EPEL (Was: EPEL repo)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 12:58:00 UTC 2007

Johnny Hughes wrote:

>>> Solution?
>>>
>>> Repo priorities and includes
>> But wouldn't it be easier if the packages had different names so you
>> could just install the one(s) you want from the command line?
>>
> NO ... because many other packages might depend on xmms (to use your
> example).  xmms-devel might be needed to build against.  All the other
> packages that need it (some in ATRPMS, some in RPMForge, some in Base,
> soem in KBS, some in EPEL) all think it provides xmms-devel or xmms.
> One could provide:xmms with the package ... however then it would ACT
> like it was named xmms too (which would make them the same).
>
> If we change the %{name} then all of those are broken ... of we change
> the %{release} (ie ... add a repo tag) then all the other programs are
> not broken.

I thought once upon a time some repo had a package named xmms-mp3 which
was different from the core version for obvious reasons.  I can't recall
a problem and I didn't have to know which repo I had to manage to get or
exclude it.

> It is also well beyond the scope of any distribution or repo to try and
> create "one-off" packages.  What I consider "one-off" are things in
> different paths (like /opt) that allow 2 packages to be installed at the
> same time.
>
> This kind of situation rapid develops into the stuff that very
> experienced admins need to create for their specific installation.

You mean like every Mac user that installs an add-on package by clicking
to open it's disk-image distribution and dragging it to a local location?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com