[CentOS] new CentOS 5 as DNS server

Ray Leventhal

centos at swhi.net
Thu Aug 2 14:56:46 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

As a breather from the
"thread-now-wider-than-my-headers-window-in-thunderbird" conversation
re: mixing repos, I have a question regarding a machine I'm about to put
online. :)

I run a web hosting company and my secondary (primary to the world) DNS
box died from a massive rootkit/hack last night.  It was running an old
Slackware 9.1 installation and I will be completely cleaning those
drives sector-by-sector.  After which I'll be installing CentOS 5 on
that hardware.

As it will be a production server and this is my first foray into
CentOS/SELinux in a production environment I was hoping to get a
recommended list of what to include and, more specifically, what *not*
to include from the distro CDs

I will be doing a text based install, hoping to avoid the installation
of X.  Other than BIND and vsftpd, I don't think I need much.  This
machine will be pulling zone files from my primary web server and
storing some archive files and backups for me.

I'm dilligently R`ingTFMs, and will continue to.... I'd sure be
appreciative of any jumpstart help and/or any pitfalls of which to be
cognizant.

TIA,
~Ray