[CentOS] Re: Mixing RPMforge and EPEL (Was: EPEL repo)

Timothy Selivanow timothys at easystreet.com
Thu Aug 2 20:16:21 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 13:26 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Timothy Selivanow wrote:
>
> >> The LFHS is the problem here, although putting applications where you
> >> want them in the filesystem would make Linux as hard to use as the Mac.
> >> Oh wait...
> >
> > That compromises one of GNU/Linux's biggest strengths, that of shared
> > libraries.  So instead of just upgrading OpenSSL, I now have to upgrade
> > the following that is on one of my servers:
>
> Unixes have had mechanisms to handle multiple shared library versions
> probably for as long as shared libraries have existed.

Yes, but like alternatives, there is a default and each time you want to
deviate from the default you must specify.  Even implementing a meta
filesystem to store per-application environment settings is just as much
work in logistics as using wrapper-scripts.  Not that it couldn't be
done, but your are still talking about major changes that are beyond the
scope of just RPM.  You are looking for a quick and easy way (i.e., no
real maintenance on your part) to have multiple libraries and multiple
same programs with auto-magical negotiation that the under-laying
structure doesn't support.

> Are you sure you want _any_ enabled repository to be able to replace your
> stock ssl libs, though?  So far the discussion has assumed that everyone
> involved is operating in good faith and all problems are just accidental,
> but what if...?

"What if" indeed!  That is one reason why I use only /my/ repo on my
servers.  In the past I used Karan's for a few packages, but decided to
just maintain a repo for the few extra packages I need.  For desktop
(F7), I use (currently) only one 3rd party repo (and well-known, so
hopefully not shady in nature) and I am able to see what repo the
updates are coming from in yumex and yum.

--
Timothy Selivanow <timothys at easystreet.com>
Linux System Administrator