[CentOS] how to export and import VMware servers

Rogelio Bastardo

scubacuda at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 22:27:21 UTC 2007

I recently build a CentOS-based VMware server (the free ver) and now
need to move all of the virtual machines off my old Windows-based
VMware server (also the free ver) to this next CentOS-based one.

I have successfully FTP'd all of the files to the new CentOS box and
have even opened the server in the console Window, but cannot "start"
it.  I start the machine (like I always do), and nothing happens.
Unfortunately, I cannot simply run "import", as I'm using a
Windows-based workstation to use the Windows-program to console into
the CentOS-based VMware server.

I suspect that perhaps some config file or something still thinks that
the machine is still running in the previous Windows host OS?

Now, both my guest OS and host OS are both CentOS 4.5.  Before, the
host OS was Windows 2003, and my host OS is CentOS 4.5.

Any ideas of where to look would be greatly appreciated.

(I understand that this might not be the best place to ask such a non
CentOS-related question.)