[CentOS] new CentOS 5 as DNS server

Ken Price kprice at nowyouknow.net
Fri Aug 3 16:58:27 UTC 2007

>> I'm coming in late to this thread.  We too are a hosting provider
>> (small time), hosting approximately 1600 live domains.
>>
>> Not to say tinydns is a bad alternative, as it has it's strengths,
>> but we moved away from [outgrew] it 2 years ago.
>
> I used to work for a messaging service provider and they had two
> systems. The first system was the service provider offering its
> messaging platform for its own domains and a hundred or so domains for
> quite a lot of clients and these were managed with BIND by hand.

eek.  i can imagine that was a pain.

> So I do not know how you 'outgrew' tinydns. After all the only part
> that involves tinydns is 'generate the cdb file from a database for
> tinydns to chew' or in other words, generating the cdb file for tinydns
> is the least of your problems to tackle.

Look, in no way was i bashing TinyDNS or starting a flamewar.  This is
why i prefaced my comment with "Not to say tinydns is a bad
alternative, as it has it's strengths".  By "outgrew" i mean we
required more of our DNS server.  We weren't a top level domain
provider.  Our clients required authoritative and sometimes secondary
service.  As a result, we required better RFC compliance and a broader
range of features then TinyDNS provided.  That's all.  Our business
simply required greater flexibility.

Generally, your business needs should determine the solution.  Not the
other way around.

Cheers.