[CentOS] Power burn test

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Aug 3 20:58:56 UTC 2007

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I need a program that will just run everything at max so I can measure
> the max power used on some systems.  My 'Kill a Watt' meter should
> show up early next week.
>
> SO run that CPU at max, using all memory, and keeping the harddrive
> spinning.
>
> I can jsut do pings on the lan card for it to stay awake.
>
> I have searched here and on the net and have come back with nothing.

nothing I know heats up a CPU faster than mersenne.org's mprime in its
torture test mode.   heat is power.   run one instance per CPU core
using the CPU affinity option

then simulataneously run some heavy cconcurrent disk IO operation, like
tarring large numbers of files disk to disk...

and, if you have a hard core graphics, run some kinda fancy openGL
demoware (in Windows, with a nvidia card, I'd suggest running one of
nvidia's geforce demo programs..)