[CentOS] Diskless client from system-config-netboot doesn't boot.

David Mackintosh

David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com
Sat Aug 4 02:52:57 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

I've followed a set of instructions I found on
http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/centos_linux_guides/centos_enterprise_linux_sysadmin_guide/ch-diskless.htmli
which describes using system-config-netboot to set up PXE booting.

I used a CentOS-4.3 install (custom, all options de-selected, then
anaconda-busybox installed after the fact) as a reference/base. I
followed the instructions, extrapolating a bit as the window defining
the diskless client has more options than those presented in the
example.

When I boot the PXE client, it does the pivot root operation, and
finally concludes with:

SELinux: Disabled at runtime
SELinux: Unregistering netfilter hooks

...at which point it hangs for ever.

I have tried performing a yum -y update on my reference system, then
recreating the root mount point, but it fails the same way.

I should probably mention that both the reference and diskless client
are identical hardware, and that the hardware has successfully PXE
booted a diskless OS (a RedHat 8.0 as it happens) in the past.

The lack of any information on the web implies that I'm doing
something trivially incorrect, can anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks for any hints or pointers you can provide.

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh |