[CentOS] CentOS vs RedHat packages

Shawn Everett shawn at tandac.com
Sat Aug 4 23:49:45 UTC 2007

> I've got some basic issues with a critical server I'm about to set up,
> and if I cannot get beyond said issues, I may opt to try CentOS.  Seeing
> that CentOS is free (can't call RedHat for support), I'm wondering if I
> should try and make the case for CentOS over RedHat.  Once the choice is
> made, it may be next to impossible to revert to the other version (RH vs
> CentOS).

Hi Scott,

If you explain the "basic issues" you are having we might be able to help
you out.

I have installed Oracle 10g and Veritas Netbackup on CentOS servers with no
problem at all.  I've been 100% happy with how things have worked.

If this really is a critical server, I would suggest going with the vendor
supported distribution.  Running an (untested to you) distribution that
you are not completely familiar with (on a critical server) is a recipe
for disaster.

Shawn