[CentOS] New CentOS DNS Server woes

Ray Leventhal centos at swhi.net
Sun Aug 5 22:07:29 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

I've put my new DNS server in place, told the primary that this IP would
be pulling zones and restarted BIND on the primary.

I configured my named.conf file to pull zones from the primary, started
BIND on the new box.   Here's where I get confused

++++++++++++++++++++++++
[root at sunspot etc]# /etc/init.d/named status
number of zones: 169
debug level: 0
xfers running: 0
xfers deferred: 0
soa queries in progress: 0
query logging is OFF
recursive clients: 0/1000
tcp clients: 0/100
server is up and running
+++++++++++++++++++++++

So the new BIND sees the conf file and recognizes that there are 169
zones (test group) to pull.

nothing comes over.  I tailed the /var/log/messages and I see about 169
<g> of these:

Aug  5 14:10:08 sunspot named[5263]: dumping master file:
/var/named/chroot/var/named/slaves/tmp-sTsIWElBLR: open: file not found

and these

Aug  5 14:10:08 sunspot named[5263]: transfer of 'jemsites.com/IN' from
64.135.16.10#53: failed while receiving responses: file not found

I think this must be a permissions issue. (btw, SELinux is in Permissive
mode at the moment).

TIA for any comments or suggestions.

~Ray