[CentOS] help with samba and ldap on centos 5

Aaron Bliss

abliss at brockport.edu
Mon Aug 6 15:16:01 UTC 2007

Hi everyone; I'm having some trouble with samba on a centos 5 box; the
box has been configured to authenticate against an ldap server via
authconfig....authentication for normal use (console, ssh) works
great....I'm having some trouble with samba using single ldap users or
local users....It's rather weird, shares in which access restrictions
are based upon ldap groups are working fine, getent group shows local
and ldap groups, however attempting to assign access to a share for
either a single ldap user or a local user doesn't work, and produces the
following error when trying to hit the share:
smb_pam_passcheck: PAM: smb_pam_auth failed - Rejecting User myuser1 !

For local users, I've added local os accounts as well as accounts in the
samba database with smbpasswd
Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Aaron