[CentOS] ipw220 wireless firmware for CentOS 5

Tue Aug 7 12:50:57 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 07:20 -0400, andy.allen at virgin.net wrote:
> Thanks Fabian,
> There seem to be a number of different ways of installing the ipw2200
> firmware and as I've said already I've tried puttting the .fw files into
> the firmware directory - why doesn't this work? What is actually the
> best/recommended way of installing the firmware in CentOS 5 please? - not
> too complicated please as I'm a linux enthusiast but not a great expert!

I have successfully used both the RPMforge and ATrpms packages for
IPW2200 on my laptop.  If you are using packages from either repo
already, sticking with that one is probably the best bet.  If using both
or neither, depends on whether you want to go with Axel's (ATrpms) kmdl
approach (may have to wait for him to build new packages after a new
kernel arrives) or with Dag's (RPMforge) dkms approach (rebuilds kernel
modules on-the-fly - requires development environment to be present).

Either is likely to be less complicated than trying to use the tarball,
and both have the advantage of having the package manager handle updates
to new firmware or drivers.

Phil