[CentOS] How to use a modem under CentOS

BRUCE STANLEY bruce.stanley at prodigy.net
Wed Aug 8 13:52:05 UTC 2007

>01:07.0 Communication controller: Agere Systems 56k WinModem (rev 01)
> What programs under CentOS, if any, can use this modem and how?

I think you can find stuff with Google, for some WinModems, to get them
to work on Linux.. As other posters pointed out, these are not true
modems and normally require MS Windows to work. Inexpensive junk,
installed into new low end boxes for end users.

As another poster pointed out, an External Serial Modem will do the
trick for you. I believe *any* External Serial Modem will work on Linux,
but, I'm not positive of that. Lanny

And I might add  "installed on expensive Laptops as well which now days
  do not normally have serial ports on them,  only USB and sometimes
  CardBuss slots.".