[CentOS] inexpensive / reasonably priced workstation / server development box

Robert - elists

lists07 at abbacomm.net
Thu Aug 9 16:42:22 UTC 2007

We are testing some simple low bandwidth video and audio broadcasting using
real server and client softwares.

So, for quick check and simplicity, we were plunking along TESTING on an
3.2GHz XP box and I noticed frames were getting dropped on the broadcast
just for resizing a window on the screen during the session.

Talk about totally lame...

I know this can be a big deal and start conflicting opinions yet I need some
experienced perspective please?

Can anyone chime in on what they use or what they would buy if they were
going to have a workstation box for development that could double as test
server and have good high speed storage and excellent video and audio etc
etc

Im  thinking of a box that does audio and video development, can easily
handle virtualization, and of course do general work apps plus setting up
various server processes for testing whether intranet or internet etc etc

It can be premade like specific dell or hp (please list component choices
for clarity)

OR

A hand built box with specific list of components that

Now, I know this has been done in magazines with great expense, and even
with lower expense, yet I trust the list more than a magazine that wants to
sell me advertising etc

Thanks in advance

 - rh