[CentOS] Re: add new module in initrd

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Fri Aug 10 10:26:17 UTC 2007

In article <20070810071942.GA3164 at localhost.localdomain>,
beast <beast at ldap.or.id> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to do a network install using PIXES boot, however the ethernet
> device was not supported by centos installation (RTL8110SC). How do i add
> this module into the initrd?
> I know i can use: mkinitrd --with=r8169 `uname -r`, but i did not know what
> is the standard modules included in the installation initrd of Centos.

The initrd file is just a gzipped ext2 filesystem image, so you need to
uncompress it into a temporary file and then mount that file using loopback:

zcat /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img >/tmp/fs
mkdir /mnt/initrd
mount -r -t ext2 -o loop /tmp/fs /mnt/initrd

Then you can look under /mnt/initrd to see the contents of the initial ramdisk.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield