[CentOS] Building rpm-s from binaries

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Aug 10 14:18:32 UTC 2007

Tomasz Napiera?a wrote:
> Thanks for response.
>
> On Friday 10 August 2007 14:45:31 James Pearson wrote:
>> The 'noarch' rpms normally don't build anything - so they could be a
>> good starting point - the crontabs spec file is a simple example -
>> although if you are generating platform specific RPMS, you won't want
>> the 'BuildArchitectures: noarch' line.
>

> That's another question though. I need to build separate packages for 4 archs.
> Whuile it's pretty easy to do it while compilind, I'm not sure about binary
> only packages. Any partucular problems I should be aware of?

Also, just in case the others have not made it clear .. you will create
a tarball of your binary files in a file named <name>-<version>.tar.bz2
and spec file.  You will make that your SRPM with rpmbuild -bs, and
build it to your binaries with rpmbuild -bb.

It needs to extract to <name>-<version> in the BUILD directory (%setup
will do that).

Then you just need to have an %install section that puts files where you
want it to go on the machine.

You can have a different directory under <name>-<version> for each arch
and use %ifarch as suggested earlier.

Also, the example SRPMS already relayed by other people in this thread
are good to see the processes.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes