[CentOS] Forcing ifcfg-eth0 to use the same nic in multi nic machine

Doug Coats dcoatshca at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 19:58:48 UTC 2007

> As far as I understand networking, if you only have 1 MAC, you only
> have 1 NIC.  You might have 2 connectors, but that seems really
> strange.  It seems like this is some sort of undefined behavior.  I
> think that having only 1 MAC really *IS* an issue.

I have used these boards(I have 6 of the same motherboard) for about 3
years now with no problems, until I upgraded the OS this summer from
Fedora Core 4 to CentOS 5.  With every windows install and Linux
install on these mother boards they report two separate nics that can
both be configured and active at the same time with the same MAC
address.

Doug