[CentOS] SFTP error (perhaps due not to using passive mode?)

Rogelio Bastardo scubacuda at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 06:54:36 UTC 2007

On 8/14/07, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> passive vs active or port mode is strictly a  old school FTP thing, it
> has nothing to do with sftp which is part of the ssh protocol.
>
> are you running a ssh server on port 990?  it normally runs on port 22.

My problem actually turns out to be I need to use FTPS instead of SFTP
(hence the ssh errors).

Unfortunately, I don't have root access to the box where I need this, so I'm
not quite sure how I'll get that tool, unless I "make install" it or grab a
binary somewhere (I can't seem to find source code for FTPS while googling).

I hear that LFTP also would do what I need to do with FTP over SSL (implicit
encryption).