[CentOS] Quotas not working over NFS?

Christian Nygaard

christiannygaard at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 01:05:10 UTC 2007

Hi I have a problem with displaying quotas on a NFS client
running CentOS 5. It works fine in the sense that I can display the quota
for a user when running the quota command as root, It does not work when
running as a ordinary user as shown in the example below.
What can be the cause of that?

# quota exampleuser
Disk quotas for user exampleuser (uid 4242):
     Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit
grace
nfsserver:/example/home
                1000 1000 1000           36428       0       0

exampleuser$ quota
Disk quotas for user exampleuser (uid 4242):
     Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit
grace

//Chris