[CentOS] CPU and FBDIMM thermal monitoring

Bernd Bartmann

bernd.bartmann at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 21:21:49 UTC 2007

I'm running Centos5 x86_64 on an ASUS DSBV-DX/SAS mainboard with a
Xeon E5345 quad core CPU. The mainboard BIOS shows me all the thermal
information about CPU and the FBDIMMs as well as the fan rotation
speeds. ACPI is set to version 3.0 in the BIOS.

Under Centos5 I can't see any of these information under
/proc/acpi/thermal_zone. This directory is just empty. Do I have to
load any special kernel modules to get the correct values?

Of course I'd like to have acpid give alerts or shut down the system
in case of overheating.

Best regards,
Bernd.