[CentOS] Kernel

Barry Brimer lists at brimer.org
Sun Aug 19 17:18:34 UTC 2007

> my server is in remote location, and I don't see any grub screen, so I was
> wondering
> if there is an option that I can specify the kernel that Linux to be booted
> at the reboot time,
> some thing like shutdown -g0 -i6 which_kernel-options

This is handled by your bootloader, which is grub.  In your /etc/grub.conf
file, there is a line that says "default=x" where x is the number of the
section from the top of the file, starting with 0.  You can also use the
"fallback=x" statement to boot a different kernel in case the default
kernel is unable to boot.

If you really want to be able to specify which kernel will be booted on
the next boot (and only the next boot) you can install the lilo boot
loader and use "lilo -R <image title>" and the next time the system is
booted, it will use that kernel, but all other times it will use the
default kernel.  If you are not familiar with lilo, I strongly recommend
that you install it on a machine locally and use it there until you are
comfortable with it before deploying it to a machine at a remote data
center.

Hope this helps,
Barry